In efforts to better shape the ADS curricula moving forward, the Academic Subcommittee of the Board, have discussed a variety of strong academic models that integrate well with core Islamic values and encourage essential Muslim character components. Our vision is inspired by current educational research and best teaching practices that have emerged out of national models from Harvard and Teachers College (e.g., Expeditionary Learning; Lucy Calkins Writing Approach).
We are selecting a variety of teaching and learning approaches that will place a high priority on developing students’ critical thinking and problem-solving skills and engage them in high level tasks that connect them with real world audiences and problems. In accordance with the Islamic concept of Ihsan (excellence), ADS has set rigorous expectations for quality work, achievement and character development.
Al-Salam Day school strives to ensure that our students develop:
1. A solid Islamic foundation guided by teachings of the Qur’an and Sunnah;
2. Ideal Islamic practices in their daily lives;
3. Critical thinking skills;
4. Leadership capabilities and collaborative skills; and
5. Self-reliance and a commitment to initiate positive change.
The mission of ADS is to provide a safe, nurturing, and inspirational Islamic environment that enables our students to achieve academic excellence and prepares them to be morally and socially responsible citizens guided by the teachings of the Quran and Sunnah.
The vision of ADS is to empower students to become model citizens and leaders committed to Islamic principles, life-long learning, and steadfast service to the local and global communities.
Al-Salam Day School’s Six (6) Educational Goals:
1. Providing students with a challenging program with high academic standards and a positive environment conducive to learning.
2. Incorporating critical thinking, analytical reasoning, effective communication, and problem solving skills leading to positive changes.
3. Directing students to build positive leadership capabilities, and to acquire essential life-skills to enable them to succeed and to become contributing citizens of a global community.
4. Providing students to engage in ethical decision-making and applying Islamic principles based on the Qur’an and the Hadith in their daily lives.
5. Enhancing the students’ understanding of the Qur’an and the Hadith through instruction in the Arabic language.
6. Instilling in students universal values of honesty, respect, and self-discipline, and encouraging them to demonstrate these values through their actions.
ADS CORE VALUES:
A = Accountability: Islamic value of being accountable toward assigned tasks (Amanah) for the pleasure of Allah (swt): Responsibility
D = Dedication: Islamic value of self-sacrificing devotion to Islamic work in sincerely seeking only final reward and approval from Allah (swt)
S = Service: Islamic value of influencing the lives of Allah’s creation positively for His pleasure
Al-Salam day school believes in providing an Islamic and educational foundation for our children. This foundation is rooted in the belief that every child has the right to the best quality of education available. We believe collaboration among all stakeholders will ensure students’ educational and character success. By guiding them through the development of their Iman and Taqwa, our children will gain the knowledge of meaningful classroom instruction and apply them to experiences in the community.